Katahdin

Katahdin
Aug 17 2010 - End of Part 1

Saturday, May 15, 2010

15 May. Glenwood, NJ. Cider Mill B&B

Beautiful day low 70s.  Wonderful hiking and mostly easy trail.

While Esther was here, she brought her computer and scale.  First, I was able to update the map through Unionville.  I also confirmed that I am continjuing to lose weight.

Forgot to mention that on Thur.  we saw deer several times and a wild turkey.  Today again we saw deer several times.  We also saw White Swans, 2 snakes, a Great Blue Heron, and a muskrat.

After High Point, we came down down on the trail and have been going through lowlands with lots of swamp.  There were many boardwalks today.  Tomorrow we start with Pochunk boardwalk which is 0.8 mile long.

Arrived at Pochuck Shelter at 1:30.  We had planned a short day but that was before we took a zero day.  I had wanted a motel so I could get ice for my shin.  It really seemed to help yesterday.  The shin hurt today but I had been going easy and wanted to continue.

We hiked 9.5 miles to Glenwood, NJ.  On the way we called Applewood B&B but they were full.  They gave me another place, also full, who gave me the number for Cider Mill B&B.   Bob came to pick us up.  The prepared a wonderful dinner tonight, will give us breakfast tomorrow, and take us back to the trail.  It is very expensive but medically necessary.

The day started very bad.  We were almost in a car crash.  A taxi took us to the trail in Unionville.  The driver pulled out in front of a SUV going 50+ mph.  He had no time to stop.  Wendy made a noise and the taxi driver stopped just as he entered the far lane.  The SUV swerved (mostly too late) and went by.  It was over.  That would have changed everything.

Next place to stay is 18 miles away so we will sleep on the trail tomorrow.  Ice on my shins now.  I am using my hiking poles more like crutches - slow but effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment