Katahdin

Katahdin
Aug 17 2010 - End of Part 1

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sat 18 Sep - Standing Indian Shelter

Nice hiking weather - low 70s at the warmest.  Low humidity but still hazy. 

Today we saw two deer, a rabbit, a snake, and of course squirrels, chipmunks, mice, and even a vole.

During the night last night, I woke up could not sleep because of pain in my legs due to exertion and pain from the blisters.  I thought there was no way I could do another 20 mile day.  But after some more sleep, treating the blisters, and packing up, I felt much better.  Although I expect the same tonight.

We hiked 19.7 miles on the AT today.  After 16.7 more tomorrow, we will be back in Hiawassee (we cross back into Georgia tomorrow).

We are at Standing Indian Shelter, just below the almost 5500 foot  summit of Standing Indian Mountain (our big climb today).

North Carolina has been good hiking.  The trails are well graded - not too steep and use switchbacks.  Lot of rhododendron and mountain laurel.  We are really in the green tunnel much of the time.  It would be beautiful in spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment